Saturday, August 30, 2008

Football Is Here Again

Yes folks, the State Fair is winding down on Labor Day, NFL preseason games are about done, and once again many of us will be watching football games on one or more levels. Whether it's the little kids in the park and rec leagues, middle school and junior varsity during the week, high school on Friday nights, college on Saturdays, or the NFL on Sundays and Monday nights, it's time to crank it up again.

I love watching football on all levels; although
over the past several years, I have seen a decline in good sportsmanship and an increase in showboating, dancing in the end zones and just a general decline in decent behavior by players on all levels.

The younger children see their idols making all kinds of efforts to show off and put themselves above team. I think they forget they wouldn't have scored that touchdown or made that sack or interception without the assistance of their teammates. They are role models for the youth who are watching — whether or not they want that responsibility. I think it's very sad to see this trend.

Anyway, a friend sent me this video the other day, and, although it's not a football video, I think it's a great tribute as to why you shouldn't show off when you are an athlete. I believe you should let your actions on the field do your talking. Then after the game, win or lose, line up and shake the hands of your opponents. See if you agree with me about showing off after you watch this video:



What an idiot!

I don't condone fighting, and I despise this type of macho activity, but I think it makes my point about letting your actions do your talking for you.

As always, I look forward to your comments.

Later,

Mike

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

pretty flashy but hey! It's the results that count. Good example of lots of flash but nothing to show for it.

Speak(er) said...

Not so long ago, my son participated on a hockey team that led the state in number of penalties that season. It was a team of young teenagers, most from frustrating personal circumstances and they had trouble controlling their anger at the world at the best of times. They were even more challenged in the constant bump and grind of a hockey game. One game, the biggest hothead of the team was blasted right in front of the other team's bench. The opposing players taunted him as he struggled to regain his feet and his stick. His coach, fearful of an impending altercation, shouted encouragement to him to get back to the play. Shocking everyone, including the other team, the kid not only did that but took a pass from a teammate and immediately scored. If ever there was a time a kid should showboat that was it - not because of the goal but because of the way he proved to himself he owned his emotions. Yet he simply skated back to the bench where his coach patted him on the back and told him quietly, "way to talk back with your great game".

I'm not sure what the opposing coach told his kids - but judging by the behavior allowed on his bench it was a teachable moment for all.

Unknown said...

That's a great story and proves my point about letting your actions do your talking. It's more stories like this I believe should be shared instead of the sensationalized stuff we see today.

I believe in the old coaching axiom that whenever you do something like score a touchdown, hit a three-pointer, get a sack or make any other great play, you should, "act like you've been there before."

Thanks,

Mike