Monday, September 8, 2008

The Paralympics Have Started

For you regular readers, you know I profiled Oscar Pistorius, the "Blade Runner," in my May 23rd post and his bid to compete in the Olympics held last month in Beijing. If you haven't read it, you can click here and read the post.

He didn't qualify for the Olympics for his South African team, but he has qualified for the Paralympics and has started out in tremendous fashion. He already owns the World Records for the 100, 200 and 400 meter dashes, and his goal is to win gold medals in all three. In the process he may even lower his own records.

He won his preliminary heat in the 100 today and seems on his way to achieving his goal. You can read an informative article from the China Daily by clicking here.


I plan to follow his quest. Who knows, I may put up another post to keep you informed of his progress.

Once again, feel free to comment.

Later,

Mike



3 comments:

Earl Hipp said...

Simply inspirational. Please do keep this amazing story of courage and determination in front of me. He is one of my heroes.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Earl. He won the 100 Meters Gold Medal today! That's one down and two to go. The New York Times ran this article today: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/12/sports/othersports/12pistorius.html?_r=1&ref=sports&oref=slogin

I'll keep you updated.

Later,

Mike

Ruona said...

Fatcat,

Interesting that you would profile Oscar. Last week I observed a jogger with a prosthetic leg. I was literally awe-struck by his fluid running. Very inspirational. Almost made me want to jog .....almost.

Lew