Friday, September 11, 2009

Eight Years Ago Today

Eight years ago today everyone in the United States claimed everything changed and it will never be the same. I don't believe it anymore. We have all heard the phrase, "The more things change, the more they stay the same."

A
friend posted this video a few days ago, and I saw it on my Facebook Home Page. Twelve-year-old Severn Suzuki gave this speech at a United Nations Conference in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil in June 1992. What I find amazing about it is, it could be given today and nothing has changed in seventeen years!

Check it out:



Young people can often put things in such a simple perspective you cannot argue with them. I believe Severn did just that! How can one argue with her points?

She has grown up to be an environmental activist, speaker, television host and author. According to Wikipedia, " ...
she has spoken around the world about environmental issues, urging listeners to define their values, act with the future in mind, and take individual responsibility." You can read more about her by clicking here.

Listening to her reminded me of young, Dalton Sherman, whom I wrote about in my October 1, 2008 post. You can read that post and watch his speech by clicking here.

Like Dalton, Severn found her passion at an early age. Now, she's almost thirty and is making her passion her career. I can certainly relate! It is great fun to watch young people develop into adults. I love it!

There are two things going on here:

1. The content of Severn's speech
2. Finding your passion

I look forward to your comments.

Later,

Mike

No comments: