Monday, August 24, 2009

Farmall Promenade

Like most things from small town America these days, the Farmall Promenade has gone the way of the horse and buggy. My aunt just sent me this great video of the Farmall Promenade, a group of people square dancing with tractors. They were only in existence from 1998 to 2008. But, after watching this video, you can't help but believe they had a lot of fun whenever they performed in those few years.

They are from tiny Nemaha, Iowa, population 120. If you're not sure where Nemaha is, it's located about 16 miles Southeast of Storm Lake in Northwest Iowa. Now do you know where it is? If you're still not sure, Google it. That's what I did. You can learn more about the Farmall Promenade by clicking here.

Check out their video and see if you can get through it without smiling. I'll bet you can't! I couldn't, and I have watched it three times already!



Whenever you start to think, "How can people live in small towns when there is nothing to do?" Just remember the human mind is an amazing organ and it's ability to think of things to do is endless!


"Why did I put up this post?" you ask. Two reasons: 1. I drove my Grandma's Farmall tractor just like the ones in the video whenever I helped her and my uncle on the farm. 2. Because I grew up in small towns, and I'm sure there were times I was bored; but I don't remember them. I lived in sixteen different locations in eight small towns before I was 14! Whether it was living in McLaughlin, South Dakota on the Standing Rock Indian Reservation and playing on the WWII canon in the park, or shooting baskets in our driveway in every town we lived in, I had a great childhood growing up in small towns. We always found something to do. I could go on, but that's a chapter in the book.

If you have any memories of your childhood, life on a farm or in a small town you would like to share, please do so in the Comments section.

I look forward to reading them.

Later,

Mike

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet. Of course that's coming from a guy who went to a small Kansas community last weekend to watch a lawnmower pulling contest.

Ruona

Unknown said...

Cool! Whatever trips your trigger.