Thursday, July 1, 2010

Creativity In Education

I do not go looking for these stories; they just keep falling in my lap! I have another cool school story to share with you. In my June 19th post, I told you about a great school doing wonderful things in the Nation's largest school district, New York City. Let's travel across the country to the second largest district and see what creative project the Los Angeles Unified School District is doing in ninety of their school campuses.

I happened to be at my mom's house today in the middle of the afternoon and she was watching CNN. In between stories on the BP Oil gusher in the Gulf and the Elena Kagan hearings, they ran this wonderful story on the greening of ninety campuses in the LAUSD.

To view the video, click here.

Check it out and tell me if you do not agree they are doing a wonderful thing. Besides the free solar energy they are utilizing, taking their schools off the energy grid, saving the District a lot of money, and providing organic vegetables for local restaurants, they are teaching low-income, racially-diverse, young students some valuable lessons. I could make a long list of positive lessons these students are learning, but after watching the video, I think you get the idea.

As always, I welcome your comments.

Later,

Mike

No comments: