Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Get Your Boy Reading

In my April first post, I discussed the issue of boys and their lack of interest in reading. Within hours, I received a comment from Daniel, a young man who loves to read. If you haven't read it, you can jump to the post by clicking here. If your boy isn't like Daniel, and doesn't like to read, here are six ideas you might try to help turn those interests around.

I want to share 6 Clever Ways to Get Your Boy Reading. This piece is from that article. I believe it makes good sense. Click on the image to make it larger:



I have one more suggestion. That is, read. Set a good example for your children. My sister and brother-in-law are both avid readers, and their fifteen-year-old son also spends a great deal of time reading. Tammy and Jeff started to read to Max when he was very young and as he grew and learned to read, he continued his love of reading.

Today, Max is reading some of the classics and wants to discuss them with his grandmother. By the way, Mom usually has two or three books going at any given time! Her father, Grandpa Joe to me, had an eighth grade education and started reading at an early age. He farmed his whole life and read until he passed away at age 85! He had a well-used, tattered dictionary next to him at all times, and if he didn't know the definition of a word, he looked it up on the spot! Do you do that? I just look it up at dictionary.com.


Any comments?

Later,

Mike

No comments: